University Crest

[nznog] Irked with TelstraClear

J S Russell jsr@j...
Tue Nov 25 14:57:55 NZDT 2003

Highly irked, in fact.

I just got to send the following notification to TelstraClear: (Note:
MSWord format - my apologies)

http://jsr.com/~jsr/outages/

TC have decided that since ICONZ no longer buy international bandwidth
from them, and we don't meet "current policy", they're going to drop all
domestic peering with us.

So, any Telstra/Clear users who want to read IDG, or look up something at
NZPost, or  enjoy your new
international charges for doing so!

I have seen some dumb-ass moves in the NZ internet scene before, but this
one ranks right up there next to El DNS Buffoon Spectacularrrr in its
idiocy.

I mean, sure, TC are still peered with ISPs smaller than ICONZ. But they
obviously meet the "policy". Or they're next for the chop.

My boss tells me that he's tried to contact Raymond O'Brien (Head of
Wholesale at TC) to get him to define the "policy"  as stated in the above
email quote - and that he declined to do so. How convenient. My personal
opinion is that this policy may well be "Whoever pissed me off the most,
recently." as that's certainly how it appears.

I mean, ICONZ is a major NZ ISP, we have a nationwide network, multiple
POPS, we're peered at APE, WIX, we've got a bunch of major web presences
hosted with us .. if we don't meet TC's peering criteria, then WHO THE
HELL DOES?

I am VERY DISAPPOINTED by TelstraClear - even Telecom doesn't pull this
kind of stunt.

I, and the ICONZ engineering staff, are currently treating this as damage
and looking for a nice way to route around it.

I can't BELIEVE that some strategically shaved chimp at TelstraClear
actually got PAID to make this decision.  Way to build a business
relationship, guys.

JSR
--
John S Russell  |  Big Geek  |  Doing geek stuff.