University Crest

[wlug] Hoiho - WLUG Community Server, Status Update

Craig Box craig@d...
Sun Sep 15 23:43:59 NZST 2002

Hi everyone,

As you will remember one of the projects that the WLUG have been working on
is the establishing of a 'community server', for shell accounts/web
space/wlug.org.nz email, as a service to LUG members and an incentive to
become a paid member.

The machine has been built is up and running, and currently being secured
and installed.  It has been named 'hoiho', following the Linux penguin theme
(Why penguins?  Linus likes penguins. See
http://www.wlug.org.nz/YellowEyedPenguin for some background information
into this bird.)  It will eventually take up home at hoiho.wlug.org.nz.

I'd like to thank the following people at this point:

- Andrew Thrift, for donating a Pentium 2 300 CPU, motherboard and graphics
card
- Kyle Carter, for donating a hard drive, network card and RAM
- Greig McGill, for donating a power supply (that he keeps forgetting to
bring places!)
- Orion Edwards, for donating a very blue ATX case
- Sahil Gupta and Net4U Ltd, who will eventually become the box's home
- Jamie Curtis and Perry Lorier for assisting with the building/installation
this afternoon (and the KFC)

Perry is currently testing the wiki on the machine to see if it will handle
the load (then undoubtedly rewriting it so it handles the load anyway.)

A draft of the Acceptable Use Policy is being worked on at
http://www.wlug.org.nz/HoihoAcceptableUsePolicy (Wiki are great for
collaborative authoring!)  Please drop by and have a look at this page,
especially if you speak good legalese.  This policy will be hopefully be
ratified at the next meeting (Sep 23) so that we can start assigning
accounts on this box.   First come, first served.  (I hope there's no-one
else called crb out there. :)

Thanks again to everyone who has donated parts, service or time to Hoiho,
and we hope to have it online for everyone's enjoyment soon.

Craig