University Crest

[wlug] Hoiho

Perry Lorier perry@c...
Sat Jan 22 12:43:30 NZDT 2005

We have reason to believe that the hoiho server (www.wlug.org.nz) may
have been compromised.  The machine has been shutdown pending an audit
and probably a reinstall (to be on the safe side).  The kiddie suspected
of targetting this machine is well known for using password sniffers and
other attacks to leverage accounts on other machines.  If you have an
account on hoiho (including a mail account) then I suggest that you
change your password on any related machine immediately.

Hopefully the kiddie hasn't successfully compromised the machine, but
we're not taking any chances.   The wiki will be offline until further
notice.

Sorry for any inconvenience,
 Perry Lorier