University Crest

[wlug] problems connecting to the website

Matt Brown matt@m...
Wed Nov 23 12:29:52 NZDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 10:21 +1100, Raymond Burgess wrote:

> One of the US machines complained initially with [socket failed: family
> 10 addr 2002:d237:12fa::1 port 80.] this is probably due to having a
> badly setup ipv6 config.  It then falls back to using ipv4 and works,
> but at bytes per second, 100 *bytes* per second.  Which is very very
> slow.  I see the same speed from the other machines, no ipv6 error tho.

The company that sponsors hoiho recently moved to new premises (with a
new Internet connection from Telecom rather than TelstraClear). There
seem to have been some connectivity issues to various parts of the
Internet since then.

Adding to the problem is that hoiho is currently ratelimited to 1kB/s
for all international traffic as it was consuming too much bandwidth.
Hoiho does about 13GB of traffic a month.

So yes, access to hoiho from international locations does suck at the
moment, sorry :(

We are in the process of finding some alternative hosting for hoiho and
hopefully this will be up and running in the next week.

Cheers

--
Matt Brown
matt@m...