University Crest

[wlug] Upgrading to Ubuntu 9.10...

Chakat Sandwalker sandwalker@g...
Mon Mar 1 08:31:15 NZDT 2010

Now that I have a copy of Windows 7 Professional x64, I can go ahead and
install that and Ubuntu 9.10 x64 on my laptop.  However, I'm a bit
unsure of how well my existing profile will be imported (if at all).  As
I have the 32-bit version installed, I have to do a clean install.  In
the past my user account has had its ownership changed to '1001', and I
had to create a new account and copy the old stuff over.

In this case, would it just be easier to create a new user account and
copy my data over to it?  The query's apropos Ubuntu, though the same
could apply in Windows; that has its own foibles with using the same
username (tacking on .WINDOWS was XP's method of doing things; I've no
idea if Windows 7 does that).

Sandy