University Crest

[wlug] Photo archives

Bruce Kingsbury zcat@z...
Mon Mar 8 20:33:31 NZDT 2010

I had a script to do this a while back; used find, md5sum and sort,
produced a list of all the files where there was more than one with an
identical md5sum, and optionally deleted all but one automatically.
That was always a bit of a risky option! Also never got around to
making it the oldest one, or the one with the most sensible-looking
filename or anything. It was pretty random about which one it chose to
keep.

I can't find the script now but I could probably hack something up
again if nobody knows of any better tools.

On 8 March 2010 20:23, John <jaytee@c...> wrote:
> Hi All,
> Due to some awful archiving. I have around 1500 digital still images
> that have been duplicated triplicated or more in a number of
> folders,C/D's and DVD's on a number of drives. I would like to know if
> there is a way I can dump ALL the directories into one folder then run a
> "find dupes" type program that would ensure that I did not delete any of
> my original photos.
> Regards   John

Disclaimer:
By sending an email to any of my addresses you are agreeing that:
   1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient"
   2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and
make such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it
lends itself to.
   3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
   4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality
that may be included on your message.