View this email in your browser
*The below is an update to **all University campus stakeholders** about a
major transport project in Ruakura, Hamilton, beginning shortly.*
Tēnā koutou katoa,
You may be aware that Hamilton City Council is about to undertake a major
transport project in the Ruakura area.
Below is an outline of the work happening and how it will affect the
University community. The University is a key stakeholder of the Council’s
and we are in direct contact with their team about these plans.
*Purpose of the work*
- The Council is upgrading a section of Ruakura Road (between Wairere
Drive and Silverdale Road) to create a safer environment for road users,
pedestrians, and people on bikes.
- The work will provide a critical link to the Hamilton section of the
Waikato Expressway, and once complete, will include traffic lights at the
intersections of Ruakura Lane/Ruakura Road and Ruakura Road/Knighton Road
as well as shared paths and dedicated cycleways for people to enjoy.
- A series of road closures and detours related to this work will be in
place over the next few months.
- It’s anticipated this work will have a significant impact on movement
to, from and around the University’s Hamilton campus, and will mean
disruption and delays for staff, students and the wider community.
- Pedestrian and bike access along Ruakura Road will be maintained as
much as possible. Bus routes will be affected and may take longer. The
website will have information on this towards the end of July.
- Road closures and detours will be established in stages from the
beginning of August, with each affecting routes to and from the Hamilton
campus in different ways.
- The duration of work and related road closures is expected to be
approximately 14 weeks weather permitting.
*Stages - August through to November*
- *One: *From 1 August, Ruakura Road, between Wairere Drive and Ruakura
Lane, will be closed for approximately six weeks. During this time Ruakura
Road entrance to Nottingham Drive will be closed to road users.
- *Two: *Ruakura Road, between Ruakura Lane and Knighton Road (section
2A on the map below), will be closed for approximately two weeks (Ruakura
Lane will remain open but can only be accessed via Wairere Drive end of
- *Three:* Ruakura Road, between Ruakura Lane and Silverdale Road
(sections 2A and 2B on the map below), will be closed for approximately
- *Four: *Ruakura Road, between Knighton Road and Silverdale Road
(section 2B on the map below), will be closed for approximately two weeks.
*Advice for visitors *
- If you are based at the campus, we recommend letting your visitors
know about this work beforehand and to allow extra travel time.
- We are fortunate to have multiple access routes around the campus,
however there are also many other people who access Ruakura Road, including
businesses at Innovation Park, so detours and other local roads are likely
to cause congestion at peak traffic times.
You can read more about the Ruakura project here
and read Frequently Asked Questions here
Ngā mihi nui
*University Communications *