On 30/10/2007, at 9:43 AM, Paul Adshead wrote:
Are any others being affected by the fools who have
It's been setup as a 'catch all' search engine, for the 'append
parent DNS suffix' queries. So a lookup on "abcd.com" that should
fail, comes back successful from " abcd.com.co.nz"... :-(
I got caught with this a month or two ago. I mentioned it on the
InternetNZ list, as I figured we should stop people registering
<tld>.<2ld>.nz, but it turns out the behaviour was deprecated in an
RFC several years ago, and most OSes don't do it anymore.
The only OS I've found that does it (by that, I mean it's the only one
I looked at) is OS X, and it seems to be in the mDNSResponder stuff.
The problem exists in Leopard, and Tiger. Not sure about pre 10.4.
Leopard also has some weird behaviour when asking for AAAA records,
but I've got a bit more digging to do there before I can say anything