The bad LLU decision is doing some good. We moving from talk to action.
On balance I don't think bundled or unbundled LL will make a lot of
difference. Once we get past the initial dip in momentum of the BB
uptake caused by the poorly structured Telecom ADSL marketing, the
alternatives will create the steep upcurve we need to ensure the
everyone has access to real broadband.
One of the things InternetNZ pays me to do is to find and support ways
make this happen.
BB is too important to leave to telcos, governments, committees, NGOs,
and local authorities. The more more models being developed, the better
the chance of getting one or more right.
Here are some points I would like you to consider, and where appropriate
1) Support all local BB initiatives. I am impressed with the stuff list
contributors are doing. Real impact!
2) Encourage your local council to act. For example Manakau City
have taken a simple step by
ensuring that conduit is in place for all new subdivisions. I will meet
with Banksy (Auckland City) early in the new year.
3) Put pressure on the telcos to change their thinking. If they don't
they won't have much to worry about in five years apart from managing a
4) Support legislative improvements (not more legislation!) to support
BB e.g.. create opportunities for glass to go in every time a hole is
dug. Most ministers are supportive, but don't see the vision.
5) Encourage the telcos to keep supporting the interop facilitation
headed by Judy Speight. This initiative has the potential to pre-empt
many of the issues surrounding the hooking up of local initiatives.
The level of Telco support has been surprising and seems genuine.
6) The lack of support of TUANZ is a concern
I have provided a list of issues
to Ernie Newman. Members should ask TUANZ why they believe there are no
interop issues that the telcos won't resolve
6) Don't worry whether people want BB. Not enough spenders wants
innovative thinking until it is no longer innovative. The apps to make
BB everything we envision will not appear until enough of the spenders
have it. Who would have guessed the uptake of texting?
7) Talk to marketing people about this. They need to learn about what we
will deliver to allow them to build the markets for the new stuff.
8) Talk to everyone about the shift away from telco-think to net-think.
toll rates will no longer be the way to make a profit.
9) Don't be concerned over traffic models or uses for BB. Nobody knows
where it is going. It is still interesting to think about it though.
10) Make outrageous press statements.
11) Support the NGI team as they work to create the new Academic &
Research BB environment.
12 Secretly develop your new killer app.
13) Give me things to do. Feel free to contact me directly.
Do we need a new list for this topic?
Direct +64 4 495 2113