It was very generous of you to take so much time over "my" script,
which, as I mentioned earlier, was almost entirely a mere cobbling
together by me of bits and pieces which I'd taken from others.
Given that you'd created an alternative script, I took the liberty of
trying it out. Having saved it and made it executable by all, I then
tried to run it in a terminal window. The directory in which I was when
I did so contained two .wma files, Beethoven1.wma, which was a re-named
file I'd copied over from my Windows computer, and Beethoven2.wma, which
was just a copy of Beethoven1.wma, created so that I could test what
happened when I tried to convert multiple files from wma to mp3.
This is what happened. I got the following output:
"Beethoven1.wma => Beethoven1.wma.wav
Could not find "Beethoven1.wma.wav".
Beethoven2.wma => Beethoven2.wma.wav"
and then the graphical representation of the xmms player appeared on the
screen, without any activity being apparent.
After some time when nothing had happened, I tried to close that
representation, but its close box wouldn't respond. I then closed the
terminal window, upon which the xmms window closed too.
I then opened xmms and checked the output plugin situation. I found that
the output plugin was Disk Writer, which I'd expected, since the script
hadn't had the chance to restore the OSS plugin.
If what I've reported above suggests to you some tiny glitch in your
script and you don't feel that you've spent too much time on it already,
I'd be grateful to hear what amendment should be made to it.