The WLUG Mailing List is the discussion-list extension of the Waikato
Linux Users Group (Incorporated).
As such, we expect members of this list to adhere to the principles
espoused in the official WLUG Charter, in particular, Rule 6, which
covers the activities on this mailing list.
While this is an Acceptable Use Policy, the WLUG Committee do recognise the
need for informal discussion among list members, and draconian administration
is not the goal here. Please keep in mind, however, that your comments to
this list do represent the WLUG, and while it is good to be seen as an
organisation with a sense of humour, some comments may do major harm to our
credibility as a serious advocate of GNU/Linux and all things Free Software/
Open Source related.
List discussion should
* be honest
* accentuate the positive, without hyperbole or blatant
* maintain a reasonable level of spelling and grammar
* not indulge in ad hominem attacks
* not continue inflammatory or abusive threads
* not be unprofessional or petty, especially with respect to the
names of other software companies
* not promote or denigrate political, cultural, or religious views
* not indulge in marketing or advertising, other than on a private
sale basis, or advertising of jobs - which may be announced
* not reproduce copyrighted material without permission from the
* not defame any person or organisation
Posters who consistently violate these guidelines will be dealt with at
the discretion of the List Maintainer.
If you feel you have been unfairly dealt with, you have recourse to any
member of the WLUG Committee.
Certain mailing list etiquette should also be maintained:
* please use only plain text (not HTML)
* reply inline or below when quoting, rather than on top
* trim quotes (don't reply quoting a 10 page message with
a single line of reply)
If you have any questions, start reading at
These points have been established over a long time on this list. If you
want to question them, please do it off list. As list users, use your
discretion when pulling people up over etiquette - please reply off
list, and if there is a serious breach, the list administrator will probably
have dealt with it off-list already.