Report on a workshop on the use of artificial intelligence in governing
Over the course of the day, [the writer] learned many things about
automated filtering that [he] hadn’t previously thought about.
• Regulators and platforms are under tremendous pressure to act,
based on the assumption that the technical problems are easy.
• Takedown requests are a frequent instrument for censorship.
• The larger platforms share content hashes of unwanted content,
but the database and process are opaque.
• Different countries have very different definitions of unlawful
• Norms and speech evolve over time, often rapidly.
In other words, it seems to me that, whether they are doing it
deliberately or not, the regulators are pushing more and more power
into the hands of the social-media platforms.
Show replies by date