I'll step through and point out what was wrong with each command.
On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 15:24, jaytee(a)clear.net.nz wrote:
linux:/home/john # ---> tar zxvf
bash: ---: command not found
The arrows ---> were pointing to the command that you shuold execute,
they should not be explicitly copied into the console.
linux:/home/john # / tar zxvf
bash: /: is a directory
I'm not quite sure where the / here comes from, it is what is causing
linux:/home/john # tar zxvf
tar: SMC_USB_WIRELESS_2662.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Ok. This is the command that you are trying to run and you have
correctly executed it, however the problem is that you did not have the
driver file in the directory.
To fix this what you need to do is the following.
1) Download the file into your home directory (/home/john) using mozilla
or another browser
2) Open up a console
3) Become root using the su command
4) Change to your home directory by executing the following command
5) Verify that the driver package is present with the following command
6) If you can see the filename SMC_USB_WIRELESS_2662.tar.gz in the
output of the previous command continue, otherwise go back to step 1
7) Now we execute the original command to extract the package
tar xzvf SMC_USB_WIRELESS_2662.tar.gz
8) Change into the directory that was created by the extraction
9) Run the setup script
If you follow those steps you should be right hopefully. If you run into
problems please post back with the exact command that you executed for
each step and the output that you got.
GSM: +64 21 611 544