University Crest

[Ada_list] We Need Quantum Ninjas, This Is Not Art, Newcastle, sept 30/oct 04 2004

Ada_list archive index About the Ada_list list Mailing lists home
To The University of Waikato HomepageWaikato Home > Waikato Mailing Lists > Ada_list Info > Ada_list archives
dan mackinlay () dan@o...
Sat Jul 17 20:06:45 NZST 2004

This is a shoutout. Please forward strategicically to interested
friends you may have, and blessings upon you if you are polite enough
to ignore our flagrant cross-posting.

--------------
Quantacrib is into its second year of madcrazy improvised
electronic/realworld crossover art. A big impro jamthing with fun, and
light and sound and spontaneity, stained with greasy residues of
avant-electro styling. Yup. It's all part of the fun at Electrofringe
festival, Newcastle, NSW, Australia, sept30-oct04, 2004.
www.electrofringe.org to find out about that.

But, more about us. We need, well, we need you.

We want to explore crossovers between VJs and DJs, between laptoppers,
MCs and poets and hiphoppers and hopscotchers. Between painters, and
sculptors, performance artists, installation artists and runaway
graffiti artists, between cutenpasters, set-designers, costumers, junk
percussionists, gamelan composers and aficionados of playing tag on the
monkey bars. You know, breaking down the good old audience-performer
divide and plumbing the depths of improvised creativity. That kind of
thing.

Do you have an idea that combines any of these elements, or possibly
other elements that aren't invented yet? A dream-team of electrofringe
attendees that you want to engage in a jam session? A great idea for
making techno from the sound of rupturing paint tins? A dance
performance for a blindfolded audience? Something that know will curl
our hairs with delight, but is just a bit too stupid to be safely done
in a nightclub to handbag house choones without risking a lynching?

We provide you a venue packed with microphones, pheromones, network
cables, sensors, paint, paper, projectors and speakers, and a chance to
rule over a tiny improvised empire for just one evening. The rule is:
it has to be spontaneous, and it has to be collaborative. Rehearsal is
only ok if you pretend you haven't done it.

We are doing a shout out now for
1. People with crazy ideas of jam sessions, experimental performances
or interactive what-have-yous that they wish to create. (so far we have
data-sharing laptop jams, shadow-tracing, collaborative wall comics,
sample looping in pitch darkness and an industrial noise-core video jam
on the theme of sweatshops, and a whole load of kiwi circus performers.
We need more. A lot more.)

2. Installation artists, decorators and designers
If you think you can handle five days of punters interacting,
interfering with and manhandling your work: we need you. We want  this
space to look pretty, or at least intriguing, for all the  pretty and
intriguing people that will be attending. Please contact  us if you are
interested in creating a venue to inspire and warp the
minds of innocents and deviants alike, and to test the limits of
municipal fire-safety codes.

Get involved:
Contact the notartcadets@o... by July 30, for your
limited-time-only opportunity for the most ephemeral type of fame.
You'll hear back by August the 3rd. Go on.

Quanta -------: undefined possibilities floating our in space before
-------------- they become realized
Crib ---------: a small jail-like contraption for containing young