University Crest

[Ada_list] internet media writers wanted

Ada_list archive index About the Ada_list list Mailing lists home
To The University of Waikato HomepageWaikato Home > Waikato Mailing Lists > Ada_list Info > Ada_list archives
Ian Clothier I.Clothier@w...
Thu Dec 20 22:17:51 NZDT 2007

Hi,

Intercreate.org, the Research Centre for Interdisciplinary Creativity, is seeking internet writers for an online resource aimed at giving context for digital media visual practice.

Rather than being merely essays online, the pages concerning seven topics in media practice will point to other locations and provide a varied diet of material on the subject. Here are the topics:

Modules 1 & 2. Technologies of Sight
Module 3. Models of authorship
Module 4. Len Lye
Module 5. Nam June Paik
Module 6. Andrea Polli - SCANZ project
Module 7. Stella Brennan - SCANZ project

A more detailed description of the project follows. We have a small amount of budget that recognises author contributions and acknowledges the contribution with an honorarium.

DIGITAL STRATEGY PROJECT

The overall goal of the project is to create online and printable learning resources which provide a direct and inspiring access point into the artistic, technological and topical explorations of Aotearoa New Zealand and international artists. There is plenty of material on the web but very little context and we aim to fill that gap.

As a prototype, the project is in formulation, and is in effect a testing ground for ideas. It's current form may alter as things develop, but the underlying goals will remain the same. As a predominantly online resource, we will be working to devise a sustainable environment by which a system of ongoing context-building can be possible.

We have recently received a small amount of funding to pursue this prototype, and so are now looking for those that would be interested to be a part of it's initial development. Out of this initial fund, we intend to pay a fee to the artists and a fee to the writers to develop materials on the artist or topic. The fee is not large, but does importantly recognise author contribution. We have partnerships with the Walker Art Center, the Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, the Len Lye Foundation and Puke Ariki, all of whom have offered their resources in support of the project.

The base unit of the resource are topic modules, seven of which are
proposed for the prototype. These are currently:

Modules 1 & 2. Technologies of Sight
Module 3. Models of authorship
Module 4. Len Lye
Module 5. Nam June Paik
Module 6. Andrea Polli - SCANZ project
Module 7. Stella Brennan - SCANZ project

This selection demonstrates the intended equal mix of contextual topics, 'point of reference' artists, and practising artists that we have a direct relationship with, via programs such as the SCANZ residencies.

By bringing forward inspiring examples of the investigation of technology and culture, we seek to encourage a deeper understanding of the technology/culture boundary, and the DIY confidence and technological literacy that comes from seeing under the hood of how projects work and come together. Workshops and online 'how-to' discussions, manuals and software tools are intended for future developments of the resource. The resource would be open to anyone whether they are enrolled in a course of study or not.

Best for the hols

Ian M Clothier and Trudy Lane

This communication - including any attachments - may contain legally privileged information,
and is confidential to the addressee.  If you are not the intended recipient you should
delete the communication and contact the sender immediately.

If you have received this e-mail in error, you must not read, copy, disseminate,
distribute or otherwise use or disclose any part of this communication, or any information
on matters or persons to which it refers.

WITT reserves the right to monitor all e-mail communications sent through its network.