University Crest

[nznog] QSI / "industry" DSL problems caused by 3.5mbit upgrades?

Juha Saarinen juha@s...
Wed Apr 26 21:13:26 NZST 2006

Matt Camp wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just curious if any other ISPs are suffering from supposed "industry wide"
> throughput issues on the Telecom DSL network caused by telecom "upgrading
> too many customers to 3.5mbit without upgrading their network"?
>
> Those are direct quotes from the Quicksilver Internet helpdesk person I
> just spoke to.
>
> This puzzles me, because in todays age of UBS, etc, I wasn't aware that
> such congestion could occur and affect everyone.
>
> I am especially surprised since I have had some people on ihug and xtra
> dsl (in one case not far from here, probably on the same exchange) run
> some tests, and they get 220kB/s, whereas I am currently getting...
> 7.5kB/s, and it's been that way for 3 days.
>
> It also puzzles me since a friend in Wellington on Quicksilver is getting
> almost exactly the same crappy performance as I'm getting in Auckland...
> pretty big coincidence that two exchanges so far apart are giving exactly
> the same performance issues at the same time?
>
> It's been a while since I actually dealt with the internals of DSL from
> the ISP end, especially in the UBS-era, so I'm posting here to see if
> anyone has any info one way or the other.
>
> FYI, Quicksilver have recommended that I contact Telecom to complain, or
> maybe write them a letter. They also refuse to update their network status
> page (despite admitting that virtually all their dsl users are affected,
> and many are complaining) because it would "be detrimental, as it's not
> Quicksilvers problem".
>
> Does this actually sound real, or am I being just fobbed off by the
> helpdesker? Are any of you other ISPs having similar issues, and can
> anyone point me at any info direct from Telecom about the issue?

Well:

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=49&TopicId=7465
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=49&TopicId=7334
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?ForumId=49&TopicId=7480

http://www.publicaddress.net/default,3102.sm#post3102
http://www.publicaddress.net/default,3049.sm#post3049

I'm on the 2M/192k Xtra DSL plan, and find that it is performing as
advertised still.

--
Juha