University Crest

[nznog] NZNOG 2010 Conference announcement and the NZNOG Trust / org team

Dave Mill davemill@g...
Thu Aug 20 09:53:17 NZST 2009

Hi all

First of all, the important stuff...

We're proud to announce that we're holding our 2010 conference at
Waikato University, Hamilton hosted by the WAND group.

The conference tutorial day will be held on Wednesday 27 January and
the main conference will be held from Thursday 28 January to Friday 29
January.

NZNOG 2010 : Jan 27 - Jan 29
                    Hamilton, New Zealand

We're currently working on having an additional co-host who will
provide some other useful services.

In the near future we should have a CFP and further announcements
regarding the conference. Expect conference fees to be similar to last
year with slightly cheaper accommodation.

Read on for some more information regarding how NZNOG conferences ran/run...

I'm a very infrequent poster to the main NZNOG list, but as many of
you know I've been fairly involved in the running of the NZNOG
conferences for the past 4 years.

Our conferences have always been successful, if anything too
successful. NZNOG has ended up with some assets, which is a bit of a
problem for an organisation that doesn't actually exist. The decision
was made to establish an entity that holds NZNOG assets and makes sure
that a conference happens regularly. At any time in the past, our
various hosts could have walked away with a reasonable amount of
money, or could have made a financial loss. What we have done is to
create a structure to stop that potential disaster from happening
anytime in the foreseeable future.

With some generous support and legal assistance from InternetNZ we
deemed that forming a Trust seemed right for our various reasons. We
then briefly ran this by the attendees of NZNOG 09 on Friday
afternoon. There were no serious objections raised so it has been
done.

So, we now have a NZNOG Trust. The initial Trustees are:
Joe Abley
Donald Neal
Andy Linton

We have collectively selected trustees that are well established and
trusted in the NZNOG community but aren't the actual "do-ers" when it
comes to the conferences. Their role is that of oversight.

If you want any further official information on this trust then I'm
sure many of you are capable of finding this online.

Then each year the NZNOG Trust will appoint the org team to actually
run the conference. This year an eight man team has been appointed.
The org team was somewhat unilaterally selected in consultation with
the Trustees based on the core of previous years to allow for a smooth
transition into the new structure. From next year onwards a call for
volunteers will go out before selection with the intention of much
wider participation. As always, there will be additional help required
closer to the conference.

The NZNOG 10 org team is:
Dave Mill
Dean Pemberton
Sam Sargeant
Gerard Creamer
Alastair Johnson
Neil Fenemor
Jonny Martin
Richard Nelson - representing WAND

The Trust oversees the budget, whilst the org team have the delegated
authority to spend the Trust's money and to ensure that the conference
happens and is well run.

I hope all of this makes sense and that people agree that what we've
done is a move in the right direction for the NZNOG community. I'm
happy to answer questions off-list, or will answer questions on-list
if I believe they're appropriate for an on-list reply.

Cheers
Dave
For the NZNOG10 Org Team