University Crest

[nznog] NZ scores first OpenFlow controlled connection to an IX

Dean Pemberton nznog@d...
Tue Dec 11 00:05:48 NZDT 2012

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you all what we think is a world first,
right here in New Zealand.

Today New Zealand can boast the first SDN controlled OpenFlow switch
BGP peering with a public Internet Exchange.

Because you're all geeks, I've decided to write the rest of the email as a FAQ:

Q:  What is SDN and/or OpenFlow?
A:   It's a new way of thinking about and building network devices.
It stands for Software Defined Networking.  It's basically a way to
separate the control plane from the data plane in order to allow you
unprecedented control over what your network can do, while still
keeping it blindingly fast.
You let the Software do what it's good for (running routing protocols,
making policy decisions) and you let the Hardware do what it's good at
(forwarding stuff at wire speed, zoooooom!).  A match made in heaven

Have a look at the wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_networking

Or this presentation from OpenFlow
http://www.openflow.org/documents/OpenFlow_2011.pps