University Crest

FW: Salaries: A comparison

Prir-l archive index About the Prir-l list Mailing lists home
To The University of Waikato HomepageWaikato Home > Waikato Mailing Lists > Prir-l Info > Prir-l archives
Chris Leggett leggettc@b...
Fri Jan 26 12:06:00 NZDT 1996

Dear Colleagues

While I share the grievance over Australian academic salaries, the
comparison with Singapore (where I was employed at the National University
of Singapore for six years) is not an easy one to calculate. There are
housing subsidies and the Provident Fund contributions by employer and
employee are high - amounting to the equivalent of 50% of my earnings while
I was there. For Singaporeans the problem is that it is a big loss if you
get involved in opposition politics or are even mildly critical in your
publications (my offence), for the Uni is skilled at finding a reason for
non-renewal of contract or even firing the offender. A few cents out on a
claim for reimbursement of taxi expenses (an opposition party candidate's
offence, plus using his research account to mail his wife's PhD thesis to
the US)  is enough to get you the sack and have the Dean publish in the
newspaper how he took a taxi along the same route to check it out- imagine
having a creep like that as a boss! On the other hand, although one has to
bid at auction for an entitlement certificate to buy a car, taxis are
relatively cheap, plentiful and efficient. A former Singaporean colleague
has joined us here in Australia moving from an SL there to an Aspro here and
reckons she has dropped 45% in income as a result. But she likes the Oz
environment and, although not really a dissenter, the freer political
climate here.

Chris Leggett

Department of Management and Economics, Faculty of Business, Central
Queensland University, Rockhampton, Queensland
4702, Australia.
Telephone: 61 (0)79 30 9630 office or 61 (0)79 39 5331 home; Facimile: 61
(0)79 30 9700 office or 61 (0)79 39 5045 home; E-mail: c.leggett@c...

Ps. Unless the sender appends a signature, I cannot, with MSMail, determine
to whom I am replying.