University Crest

HUGH CLEGG - OBITUARY

Prir-l archive index About the Prir-l list Mailing lists home
To The University of Waikato HomepageWaikato Home > Waikato Mailing Lists > Prir-l Info > Prir-l archives
GILSON@w... GILSON@w...
Sat Jan 27 15:35:44 NZDT 1996

Thanks for posting Hugh Clegg's obituary notice, Greg. No doubt there will
be many netters on PRIR-L and elsewhere who might be puzzled by the interest
shown by some of us, concerning Hugh's passing. As Richard Marsden said -
"the end of an era". I was lucky enough to be Hugh's last Ph. D student (on
the basis of my critique of his interpretation of the Taff Vale decision which
he pronounced "interesting", and upon this slender evidence was given the
opportunity to study under his unrelenting critical eye), and could share many
a "Hugh story", although there are of course many others who were professionally
and pesonally a good deal closer than I. His dogged persistence in focussing
on collective bargaining theory has stood the test of time, but more
importantly, Clegg represented the ebb and flow of the unitary, pluralist,
marxist debates that helped define a generation of scholars. As an avowed
empiricist he clearly avoided the broader critical context of the political
economy debates in industrial relations that many of his students and contemporaries
chose to embrace, but one quickly learned to make grandiose claims at one's
considerable peril.

Clive Gilson
University of Waikato
New Zealand