University Crest

[wlug] SMTP server

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Thu Aug 1 14:51:19 NZST 2002

Be aware that some ISP's do not accept mail delivered from SMTP servers
running on dialup IP's.  MAPS lists most ISP dialup IP ranges in their
black list.

As I have said in the past, you should be able to use whatever ISP's
SMTP server you are connecting with.  IE, if you are connecting to the
internet using IHUG use smtp.ihug.co.nz.  If you are connecting using
XTRA then use smtp.xtra.co.nz, if you are connecting using E3 then use
smtp.e3.co.nz etc.

You do not require permission to do so.  You can do this even if you are
'sharing' an account with someone.  No ISP I know of checks the 'From'
headers of messages they queue for validity.  It would be impractical to
do so.  Their access control lists on their smtp servers would just
check that the incoming connection was from an IP the ISP owns.

Regards