University Crest

[wlug] more...

zcat@b... zcat@b...
Sat Aug 10 13:45:58 NZST 2002

> I had thought ports was fairly good with dependancies? ie, it let you
> resolve them fairly easily. That said, I've not used it enough to give you
> any help :)

There seems to be packages on the CD (which are a bit like rpm's)
and there's a 'ports' directory structure where I just go into the
appropriate directory and 'make install' and it then fetches everything
for me and installs it. Those work, and I think I can get most of what I
want that way. There's a mozilla port here which is installing as I type
this. Also apache and php4, and I'll probably find and install some other
packages overnight.

Then there's www.freebsd.org/ports which lets me download huge tgz files;
when I try to install those (using pkg_install) it complains about
dependencies. I guess I just go find all the packages that it depends on
too; what a pain!!

Then there's things like the mozilla freebsd version which is an
ordinary tar file like the linux version; I can unpack it fine, but when I
run it it complains that libintl.so.2 is missing and I have no idea what
package that's supposed to be in :(

I'm getting there slowly; reading the documentation helps :)