University Crest

[wlug] cups

Michael Cree cree@p...
Mon Aug 12 16:13:04 NZST 2002

I have a couple of problems with the CUPS printing system I can't seem to
sort out and wondered if anyone could help.

I am running cups as the printer daemon under Suse 8.0.  Rpm -q cups
reveals version 1.1.12-69 is installed.

Two problems:

1) It keeps printing a blank page after every print job.  It was fine under
    Suse 7.2, but upgrade to Suse 8.0 introduced this problem.  Also a new
    install of Suse 8.0 on a new machine has same problem.  All banner pages
    are switched off.  Maybe a trailing ctrl-D type problem (we are printing
    to a HP postscript laserjet) - but I can't find anything in the
    configuration to switch it off.

2) How does one turn on the accounting information (or the page_log as cups
    calls it).  Setting the PageLog variable in the cupsd.conf file does
    nothing. Touching /var/log/cups/page_log (where it is 'sposed to write
    the page_log file) doesn't help (anyway, it was just a long shot guess
    that maybe it only wrote the file if the file existed).  Any suggestions
    as to how the page log accounting can be turned on?

Michael

 Dr Michael Cree                Email:     cree@p...
 Lecturer
 Dept. Physics and Elec. Eng.
 University of Waikato
 Private Bag 3105               Fax:       +64-7-8384835
 Hamilton                       Telephone: +64-7-8384301
 New Zealand