University Crest

[wlug] MA401 under RH7.3

Alex Mondale amondale@y...
Sun Aug 11 03:46:00 NZST 2002

Hi Colin,
In a May post on a linux group, you stated

>The Netgear driver CD actually came with 'linux drivers', ie a copy of the
>pcmcia-cs and wlan-ng sources, which you promptly ignore in favour of the
>latest versions.  I noticed RedHat's kernel picks the built-in wvlan_cs
>driver for the card rather than the dedicated prism2 driver from the
>wlan-ng, I haven't had a chance to experiment whether rebuilding the
>kernel to use this would improve performance.

I had a problem compiling the MA401 drivers that came on the CD under
7.3 kernel (2.4.18-5) so I am interested in knowing:
1) Do I even need to bother with compiling these drivers if I merely
need to make a few changes in wireless.opt?
2) If so, where can I find these newer sources? I did not have problems
building the pcmcia-cs sources, just the wlan-ng (stands for no good I
guess!)

Thanks,
Alex