University Crest

[wlug] X window programming

V K list0570@p...
Wed Aug 14 23:32:35 NZST 2002

> And ImageMagick isn't just an image viewer either.  It provides an API
> which you can use in other apps to do all sorts of image manipulations.
> >From your description what you need is (in order of importance):

The big thing to keep in mind about Imagemagick is that at any one
time, 25% of it is so faulty it's useless. With each release, it's a
different 25%. Possibilities include generation of postscript output
which produces stack underflows on every interpreter, making it obvious
that the programmer hasn't tried his product even once.

I still use a version 3.9.1 of 5 years ago, because I know that those
functions I use work. 5.4.2 is almost at the same point, but it's
noticably slower, in some cases (of simple image scaling) taking >3
times the amount of CPU time. Perhaps it's doing a better job.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be another command line program
which does similar jobs.

Volker

http://volker.orcon.net.nz/		Please do not CC list postings to me.