University Crest

[wlug] X window programming

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Thu Aug 15 00:21:14 NZST 2002

Indeed this is true.  Imagemagick is slow, memory heavy and buggy.  And
the (Perl) API is pretty ass.  But as you say there is not a lot of
choice.  Except maybe Imlib2.

Later

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 23:32, V K wrote:

    > And ImageMagick isn't just an image viewer either.  It provides an API
    > which you can use in other apps to do all sorts of image manipulations.
    > >From your description what you need is (in order of importance):

    The big thing to keep in mind about Imagemagick is that at any one
    time, 25% of it is so faulty it's useless. With each release, it's a
    different 25%. Possibilities include generation of postscript output
    which produces stack underflows on every interpreter, making it obvious
    that the programmer hasn't tried his product even once.

    I still use a version 3.9.1 of 5 years ago, because I know that those
    functions I use work. 5.4.2 is almost at the same point, but it's
    noticably slower, in some cases (of simple image scaling) taking >3
    times the amount of CPU time. Perhaps it's doing a better job.
    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be another command line program
    which does similar jobs.

    Volker

    http://volker.orcon.net.nz/		Please do not CC list postings to me.

--
Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com