University Crest

[wlug] MA401 under RH7.3

amondale@y... amondale@y...
Thu Aug 15 14:00:13 NZST 2002

Thanks for the advice, Colin. I'll remember to disable pcmcia kernel support and then try running the script you are referring to.

 Colin Palmer wrote:On Sat, 10 Aug 2002, Alex Mondale wrote:

> I had a problem compiling the MA401 drivers that came on the CD under
> 7.3 kernel (2.4.18-5) so I am interested in knowing:
> 1) Do I even need to bother with compiling these drivers if I merely
> need to make a few changes in wireless.opt?

If the kernel driver works for you, you might as well use it. I had the
problem that the wlan_cs driver doesn't fully support the prism2 chipset
that the MA401 uses, so WEP didn't go, and iwconfig wouldn't report a
speed higher than 2Mb/s (though I found out later that the card might do
11Mb/s anyway and the driver just can't show it)

> 2) If so, where can I find these newer sources? I did not have problems
> building the pcmcia-cs sources, just the wlan-ng (stands for no good I
> guess!)

It's supposedly wlan-next-generation, though it's a step backwards in that
it still doesn't interface with the kernel wireless extensions so iwconfig
etc. won't work and you have to configure it with the included script and
utils which makes changing between drivers a pain. Once I got it going
though I haven't had to mess with it since.

Sources for wlan-ng are at http://www.linux-wlan.org/ and you'll need the
latest pcmcia-cs sources from kernel.org too (remember to disable the
kernel pcmcia driver and build pcmcia support seperately)

--
** Colin Palmer, Systems and Development Group, University of Waikato, NZ **