University Crest

[wlug] Memory Error?

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Mon Aug 19 10:35:45 NZST 2002

Stephen Heise wrote:

> what seemed like a fairly painless install, I get
> this error straight after I select Linux from GRUB:
>
>  Booting 'Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-3)'
> root (hd0,1)
>  Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
> Kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-3 ro root=/dev/hdb5
>  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0xff8b0]
> Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

Hi,
I don't know much about grub, but I found this:
http://my.execpc.com/~geezer/osd/boot/grub-how.txt

####
Kernel load address
-------------------
GRUB reads the physical address (load address; LMA) of the
kernel from the ELF file. This value must be
1. at or above 1 meg, and
2. below the end of physical RAM

If the load address is below 1 meg, you get error #7:

NOTE: This is a limitation of GRUB, not of Multiboot.

If the load address is beyond the end of RAM, you get error #28:
        Selected item cannot fit into memory

And if you use a very high address like 0xC0000000, the math
apparently overflows, and you get error #7 again.

*** NOTE: "mbchk" does not check for these errors.
####

There's also some technical stuff there, but I don't think this
helps you much as a "newbie". Perhaps you could boot linux from
a floppy disk and try using lilo instead of grub? (They are both
boot loaders). You would have to configure your lilo.conf so
it knows about your windows partition...

Anyone out there know much about grub?

John