University Crest

[wlug] cups

Paul MacDonald zapper_@m...
Mon Aug 19 16:13:43 NZST 2002

> > Everything of any interest
> > generates postscript, and the only printers of any interest are
postscript
> > printers
>
> Wrong. I just bought a nice Epson photo printer, and it sure doesn't do
> postscript. I also suspect that most lower end "postscript" printers
> are sold with a software postscript driver (mickey only, of course).

It's not just the low end ones. Place I worked for bought an A1 plotter. Had
to play for ages till I found out that the PostScript was a software RIP
that had to run as an WinNT service ( I was just support not purchaser).
The documentation didn't go out of it's way to point this out either.
Needless to say it went back to the vendor pretty quickly after that.

P.