University Crest

[wlug] ISP Help

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Mon Aug 26 11:37:50 NZST 2002

> I tend to have minor probs at times.  but offten, i think thats due more
> to a combo of the machine acting as my router (intel p 133)and the
> ammount of traffic hitting sites i visit.

A p133 should be able to forward packets at 128kbit with ease. What else
are you running on the router? (eg, if you are running squid, it might
causing the bottleneck ;)

Is anyone interested in running some throughput tests between their sites?
Not just  satlan-connected sites, but all round the place would be good.
It'd use a few megs of traffic a time, and saturate the link for brief
periods, but a reasonable mesh of sites would give a fair approximation of
what connectivity between consumer-level services are like.