University Crest

[wlug] ISP Help

Michael Cree cree@p...
Mon Aug 26 12:56:28 NZST 2002

Daniel Lawson writes:
 > >  Anyone got any recommendations for which OS to use? Which distribution?
 >
 > Win2k Advanced server, IIS, Frontpage of course. Its for users webpages
 > after all, so we need to have frontpage there.

A goldmine for the webpage hackers too.  So, yeah, a good recommendation!

More seriously, I happen to use Suse, only because that was the
recommendation of a couple of different German friends (both of whom are on
this list).  The distribution is certainly very comprehensive (now about
seven discs) and it is relatively easy to install and getting better with
each distribution.

Apparantly it is also easy to administer.  But if you are like me you will
get frustrated with the "easy to use, quasi Windows, adminstration
interface" and go back to editting the config files directly and writing
shell scripts to manage adminstration, and occasionally compiling packages
myself since I want them installed with specific features.  So the thought
of switching to debian has occurred to me a bit recently.

(Interesting to note that one of those Germans who recommended Suse to me,
tells me he has decided to, and in fact, has, installed Debian on a sizeable
database server!)

But if you like the "Windows" approach to administration then Suse is a good
choice.

Michael.