University Crest

[wlug] wlug web server

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Mon Aug 26 13:07:25 NZST 2002

"John R. McPherson" wrote:

> Daniel Lawson wrote:
>
> > The wlug server is still in the works. Sahil has offered hosting, and
> > Andrew Thrift offered the guts of a machine- sans harddrive I beleive.
> >
> > If both of these offers are still available, there is no reason it cant go
> > ahead. We just need a harddisk, an OS set up on it, and someone to
> > volunteer to look after it (apply security updates etc). And an
> > 'acceptable use' policy put in place.
>
> If no-one else jumps forward, I can make some time to set it up
> and look after it.
>
> <troll>
>  Anyone got any recommendations for which OS to use? Which distribution?
> </troll>

OK, before I get a flood of replies, I'll jsut say that I use debian at
home, and I have a debian woody CD, so I can't see anything wrong with
that.

Any thoughts on an Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)? If it's only for
wlug members then we can probably get away with a short paragraph
that says "play fair, drink responsibly" etc etc. Maybe set up a wiki page
until we can all agree on one...

Just to get some numbers, how many people out there would be likely
to use such a service?

And lastly, Sahil hasn't replied yet - what sort of terms would the hosting
be on?

John.