University Crest

[wlug] ISP Help

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Mon Aug 26 13:57:31 NZST 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 12:21, Daniel Lawson wrote:

    >  Anyone got any recommendations for which OS to use? Which distribution?

    Win2k Advanced server, IIS, Frontpage of course. Its for users webpages
    after all, so we need to have frontpage there.

    :)

You are a sick sick man indeed.

    I personally think debian is the easiest linux distro to maintain that
    i've come across. Although I've not used redhats up2date at all, it might
    be ok. Whichever distro we use its important they have a good policy of
    security updates.

RH up2date makes for easy upgrading too.  I would say that it is just as
easy to use as apt-get and it is my prefered way of maintaining the
servers/workstations I administer.  I even pay for a few yearly subs to
the RH Network (you only get 1 server sub of RHN free).

Of course there are other alternatives to keeping in sync with a
distro's patches.  Ie, FTP/Mirror and perl scripts.

Later
--
Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com