University Crest

[wlug] ISP Help

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Mon Aug 26 14:01:16 NZST 2002

I may be wrong here, but I don't beleive yast (and other SuSE apps) are
licensed GPL or even "Open Source".  Therefore I'd personally avoid it
purely on philosophical grounds.  At least RH is pretty faithful to the
ideals of the GPL and Free Software.

Later

On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 12:56, Michael Cree wrote:

    Daniel Lawson writes:
     > >  Anyone got any recommendations for which OS to use? Which distribution?
     >
     > Win2k Advanced server, IIS, Frontpage of course. Its for users webpages
     > after all, so we need to have frontpage there.

    A goldmine for the webpage hackers too.  So, yeah, a good recommendation!

    More seriously, I happen to use Suse, only because that was the
    recommendation of a couple of different German friends (both of whom are on
    this list).  The distribution is certainly very comprehensive (now about
    seven discs) and it is relatively easy to install and getting better with
    each distribution.

    Apparantly it is also easy to administer.  But if you are like me you will
    get frustrated with the "easy to use, quasi Windows, adminstration
    interface" and go back to editting the config files directly and writing
    shell scripts to manage adminstration, and occasionally compiling packages
    myself since I want them installed with specific features.  So the thought
    of switching to debian has occurred to me a bit recently.

    (Interesting to note that one of those Germans who recommended Suse to me,
    tells me he has decided to, and in fact, has, installed Debian on a sizeable
    database server!)

    But if you like the "Windows" approach to administration then Suse is a good
    choice.

    Michael.

--
Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com