University Crest

[wlug] ISP Help

Volker Kuhlmann hidden@p...
Mon Aug 26 14:41:42 NZST 2002

On Mon 26 Aug 2002 12:56:28 NZST +1200, Michael Cree wrote:

> (Interesting to note that one of those Germans who recommended Suse to me,
> tells me he has decided to, and in fact, has, installed Debian on a sizeable
> database server!)

OT, but you got that wrong I'm afraid. That person was called in to fix
a problem or two with an existing Debian server someone else had
installed, which involved some package updates. Updating those packages
screwed a few things, not appreciated for a production server. Problems
were in the area of package dependencies, which seems to make a lot of
that debian-packagement-is-super-duper look like hype.

Personally I still fail to see what advantages the debian package
management system has which rpm couldn't do as well. As someone who
uses SuSE too I think I'll stay with that.

Volker

http://volker.orcon.net.nz/		Please do not CC list postings to me.