University Crest

[wlug] ISP Help

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Mon Aug 26 15:04:02 NZST 2002

> I have *never* seen screwed up debian package dependencies in a
> stable debian distribution. You weren't using the "unstable" branch on
> a production machine now, were you?

It can happen. Especially if you mix locally-built (from tar.gz)
major packages like Apache or Postgres. Nasty problems. Also if you have a
program that depends on a certain version of a library, and said library
gets upgraded willy-nilly as part of an upt-get upgrade, you might well
have problems.

> .rpm and .deb have about the same capabilities as a package format.

.deb has 'recommends' tags, which .rpm doesn't. However, rpm as a program
is much nicer to use IMO than dpkg. One thing I liked being able to do
with a redhat system was verify all the files in all my packages. there is
a debsums program that almost does what I want, but its nowhere near as
good as rpm --verify.

Daniel