University Crest

[wlug] Highpoint Techonogy ATA RAID controller

Edward Murrell edward@m...
Sat Feb 8 16:31:52 NZDT 2003

Hi there,

I've had/have one of these working under Debian, but not at the boot up,
where it did all sorts of strange things fron not detecting to stopping
as soon as it tried to access the array. I've concluded that the
highpoint drivers (or the slightly unusual hardware combo) doesn't quite
work properly. However, google reveals that I may not be alone on this
one. Given the stories I've heard about high point controllers - under
any O/S, I'd advise against using the RAID capabilities, and use normal
single drive booting, with software RAID.

Having said that, are you using the ide-pci boot disk? It's #4 if I
remember correctly. I think installed the server under Debian 2.2, so
the newer versions may support it better than the version I used.

Regards
Edward Murrell

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 15:07, Lindsay Druett wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone successfully got a Highpoint HPT370/HPT370A ATA RAID controller running under Debain Linux at the fresh install point?  These RAID controllers are the ones sold by Dick Smith.
>
> I can get the module hpt37xxxxx.o up but it asks for some sort of arguments to be entered, but I don't know WTF they are talking about here.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Lindsay Druett.

Edward Murrell <edward@m...>