University Crest

[wlug] Highpoint Techonogy ATA RAID controller

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Sun Feb 9 15:47:07 NZDT 2003

I've not had experience with this controller.  But if it's anything like
the Promise controllers you need to ensure the boot disk has the ATA
raid support build in.  Once you've defined the array in the bios you
need to use the /dev/ataraid/d0 device instead of /dev/hda for
partitioning.

I've never actually installed on a IDE RAID controller.  So YMMV.

Another alternative if you're just doing mirroring is to install the OS
on one disk.  Once installed modify your boot loader and fstab to use
the ataraid devices. Then reboot and use the RAID bios to mirror the
installed disc to the mirror.

Also be aware that I've seen benchmarks that indicate that doing IDE
RAID-0 with new disks like Seagate Barracuda V's decreases their
performance.

Regards

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 15:07, Lindsay Druett wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone successfully got a Highpoint HPT370/HPT370A ATA RAID controller running under Debain Linux at the fresh install point?  These RAID controllers are the ones sold by Dick Smith.
>
> I can get the module hpt37xxxxx.o up but it asks for some sort of arguments to be entered, but I don't know WTF they are talking about here.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
> Lindsay Druett.

Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com > +64 (21) 41-2238