University Crest

[wlug] Highpoint Techonogy ATA RAID controller

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Sun Feb 9 15:49:35 NZDT 2003

I too would recommend Linux software RAID over a cheap IDE hardware
solution.  The performance is about the same (if not faster) and the
Linux software RAID capabilities are much better than most cheap IDE
solutions.

Regards

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 16:31, Edward Murrell wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've had/have one of these working under Debian, but not at the boot up,
> where it did all sorts of strange things fron not detecting to stopping
> as soon as it tried to access the array. I've concluded that the
> highpoint drivers (or the slightly unusual hardware combo) doesn't quite
> work properly. However, google reveals that I may not be alone on this
> one. Given the stories I've heard about high point controllers - under
> any O/S, I'd advise against using the RAID capabilities, and use normal
> single drive booting, with software RAID.
>
> Having said that, are you using the ide-pci boot disk? It's #4 if I
> remember correctly. I think installed the server under Debian 2.2, so
> the newer versions may support it better than the version I used.
>
> Regards
> Edward Murrell
>

> On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 15:07, Lindsay Druett wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Has anyone successfully got a Highpoint HPT370/HPT370A ATA RAID controller running under Debain Linux at the fresh install point?  These RAID controllers are the ones sold by Dick Smith.
> >
> > I can get the module hpt37xxxxx.o up but it asks for some sort of arguments to be entered, but I don't know WTF they are talking about here.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Lindsay Druett.

Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com > +64 (21) 41-2238