University Crest

[wlug] Fonts

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Mon Feb 10 10:18:39 NZDT 2003

>Can I ask a simpler question?
>I have pulled my Windows fonts into Mandrake using Drakfont
>but both OpenOffice and KWord do not show them. Can
>some kind soul let me know how a beginner can locate these?
>Thank you Bob

I've not used Mandrake, nor Drakfont, but here's a few tips:

Have you verified that the fonts work elsewhere under X? EG: you can
verify that you are using one of the MS fonts under Mozilla, or as a
menu font in Gnome, or something?

The way X handles fonts is usually through use of a font server. XFree86
4 has internal font support as well, just to confuse things. You need to
check that your fontserver settings include the new fonts imported via
drakfont.

xfontsel is an app that will let you browse the fonts installed. Use
this to verify that you can access the fonts you imported.