University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Thu Feb 13 13:43:41 NZDT 2003

Actually you should probably not be checking a host so far into the
network.

If you add a route to www.clear.net.nz that forces you to use the
Tempest connection to connect to it you won't be able to contact
www.clear.net.nz via the Telecom ADSL link if the tempest one goes
down.  Unless of course you take out the route when you switch to the
Telecom ADSL link.  But then you wouldn't be able to detect if the
tempest came back up again...

A better idea is to find out what your Tempest ADSL pear IP is (the
DSLAM's router IP).  And force a route to that and ping that IP.
Getting this IP is easy if you use PPPoE.  In our case our Telecom pear
IP is displayed with ifconfig:

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:219.88.66.128  P-t-P:219.88.66.254  Mask:255....

Regards

--
Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com > +64 (21) 41-2238