University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Thu Feb 13 13:51:55 NZDT 2003

Oliver Jones wrote:

>Actually you should probably not be checking a host so far into the
>network.

Well, yes. The wiki entry i added
(www.wlug.org.nz/FailoverInternetConnection) actually mentions using the
next-hop from the primary link.

>A better idea is to find out what your Tempest ADSL pear IP is (the
>DSLAM's router IP).  And force a route to that and ping that IP.
>Getting this IP is easy if you use PPPoE.  In our case our Telecom pear
>IP is displayed with ifconfig:

Unfortunately, in both Craig and my cases, we don't have PPP terminating
the connection on a useful server. If we did have the connection
terminated by PPP on our router/server/linuxbox whatever, then we could
simply monitor the ppp link status - as when the link drops, you no
longer have a connection. Much easier to do.

Daniel