University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

orion orion@c...
Thu Feb 13 13:57:35 NZDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Lawson [mailto:daniel@m...]
Sent: Thursday, 13 February 2003 1:52 p.m.
To: wlug
Subject: Re: [wlug] ADSL failover

>>A better idea is to find out what your Tempest ADSL pear IP is (the
>>DSLAM's router IP).  And force a route to that and ping that IP.
>>Getting this IP is easy if you use PPPoE.  In our case our Telecom
pear
>>IP is displayed with ifconfig:
>>

>Unfortunately, in both Craig and my cases, we don't have PPP
terminating
>the connection on a useful server. If we did have the connection
>terminated by PPP on our router/server/linuxbox whatever, then we could

>simply monitor the ppp link status - as when the link drops, you no
>longer have a connection. Much easier to do.

It's not PPP he's talking about. All DSL connections have a peer/pear
IP.
Traceroute soemthing, and the second hop will be the router IP of the
DSLAM

In my case

MTR www.paradise.net.nz

 1. 10.55.1.254                           < my router
 2. 202-0-40-254.paradise.net.nz          < this is the one you want
 3. 192.168.253.225
 4. kelly.ipnet2.paradise.net.nz
 5. www.paradise.net.nz