University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Thu Feb 13 14:19:45 NZDT 2003

>>>Getting this IP is easy if you use PPPoE.  In our case our Telecom
>>>

>pear
>

>>>IP is displayed with ifconfig:
>>>

>>simply monitor the ppp link status - as when the link drops, you no
>>longer have a connection. Much easier to do.
>>

>It's not PPP he's talking about. All DSL connections have a peer/pear
>IP.
>Traceroute soemthing, and the second hop will be the router IP of the
>DSLAM

*blink*

Yes, I'm aware of what you are trying to say, and that was the general
principal of what Oliver was saying. It is also what I agreed with in my
reply to his post...

He also said that 'Getting this IP is easy if you use PPPoE'. And I was
pointing that that if you do have PPPoE terminating on the local system,
you dont NEED the next-hop IP as you can simply monitor the PPP link
state instead. Or have the ppp daemon itself do the monitoring and
handle bringing up your backup interface instead.

On another note. it seems Cisco's do have a much nicer mechanism for
implementing this sort of thing... When you are paying that sort of
money you'd expect that however :)