University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Thu Feb 13 15:40:10 NZDT 2003

> >A better idea is to find out what your Tempest ADSL pear IP is (the
> >DSLAM's router IP).  And force a route to that and ping that IP.
> >Getting this IP is easy if you use PPPoE.  In our case our Telecom pear
> >IP is displayed with ifconfig:
> >

> Unfortunately, in both Craig and my cases, we don't have PPP terminating
> the connection on a useful server. If we did have the connection
> terminated by PPP on our router/server/linuxbox whatever, then we could
> simply monitor the ppp link status - as when the link drops, you no
> longer have a connection. Much easier to do.

Indeed.  You can't configure the ADSL devices to tunnel PPP?  We got an
Alcatel Speed Touch Pro but I decided to run it in dumbed down PPPoE
mode as it makes NAT, firewalls etc much nicer because I can use Linux
rather than the shit Alcatel firmware.

Later

--
Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com > +64 (21) 41-2238