University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

Craig Box craig@d...
Thu Feb 13 16:15:48 NZDT 2003

> Indeed.  You can't configure the ADSL devices to tunnel PPP?
> We got an Alcatel Speed Touch Pro but I decided to run it in
> dumbed down PPPoE mode as it makes NAT, firewalls etc much nicer
> because I can use Linux rather than the shit Alcatel firmware.

In this case, they're Nokia M1122's, and they don't really support much in
the way of tunnelling.

When I had an M11 at home, I had a separate interface in the gateway
machine, partly because it's considered incorrect behaivour to route data
out the same interface that it came in, but mostly because WANd (then ipt)
meant I had to use the Linux machine as the gateway instead of just the
modem.  All the incoming ports on the modem were forwarded straight to the
gateway machine.  We now use a Speed Touch Pro in the configuration that you
suggest, because then everything can be controlled from ppp0 and Just
Works(tm).

The machine in question here is a 1U machine so we can't really stick extra
network hardware into it easily.

Craig

---
This message has been scanned by e-mail content filtering software MailMarshal.