University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

Aaron Martin listwlug@c...
Thu Feb 13 18:36:49 NZDT 2003

If you are using M1122's then you can have the connection terminating on
your PC rather than on the device,  I do this myself, with the M1122 plugged
into my linux machine, I then get the real ip address on the linux machine
rather then on the M1122.
To do this you just need to telnet into the M1122, and reconfigure the VCC1
to a tunneled pptp type connection (i think that is what it is called), and
then when you establish a PPTP connection to the M1122, using your ISP
provided username, realm and password, you get the connection tunneled
directly to the PC.

Damn that was a long winded way to explain it, sorry all!

<snip>
> Unfortunately, in both Craig and my cases, we don't have PPP terminating
> the connection on a useful server. If we did have the connection
> terminated by PPP on our router/server/linuxbox whatever, then we could
> simply monitor the ppp link status - as when the link drops, you no
> longer have a connection. Much easier to do.
<snip>