University Crest

[wlug] ADSL failover

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Thu Feb 13 20:09:43 NZDT 2003

This is pretty much host the Alcatel works too.  Though you can config
this all with the HTTP interface rather than Telnet. :)

Most "smart" ADSL devices can be 'downgraded' to being PPPoE tunnels.
Much better when using Linux as your GW/Router/Firewall.

Regards

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 18:36, Aaron Martin wrote:

> If you are using M1122's then you can have the connection terminating on
> your PC rather than on the device,  I do this myself, with the M1122 plugged
> into my linux machine, I then get the real ip address on the linux machine
> rather then on the M1122.
> To do this you just need to telnet into the M1122, and reconfigure the VCC1
> to a tunneled pptp type connection (i think that is what it is called), and
> then when you establish a PPTP connection to the M1122, using your ISP
> provided username, realm and password, you get the connection tunneled
> directly to the PC.
>
> Damn that was a long winded way to explain it, sorry all!
>

> <snip>
> > Unfortunately, in both Craig and my cases, we don't have PPP terminating
> > the connection on a useful server. If we did have the connection
> > terminated by PPP on our router/server/linuxbox whatever, then we could
> > simply monitor the ppp link status - as when the link drops, you no
> > longer have a connection. Much easier to do.
> <snip>

Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com > +64 (21) 41-2238