University Crest

[wlug] the Wiki

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Sun Feb 23 15:59:26 NZDT 2003

> they were important to me when I set it up, since it was hosted on adsl,
> and I was worried how much bandwidth it was pulling, but less about how
> much it was human.  http://www.wlug.org.nz/archive/querys-recent.txt is
> autogenerated every night with what everyone is searching for from
> google.  it appears to be about 150 hits from google a day at the
> moment.  I touched the config up a bit last night before I went to bed.
> What I really want to do is get all the search engines grouped into one
> line, but I've not had success with getting webaliser to do that for me.

You should be able to do that with the Group and Hide config
statements.  eg:

GroupSite *.googlebot.com  Search Engine
HideSite *.googlebot.com
GroupSite *.fastsearch.net Search Engine
HideSite *.fastsearch.net

I also do this with ISP's.  Grouping all dialin IP's under one ISP name.
> All in all I've been rather disappointed with log analysers in general,
> to me webaliser is the best of a particularly bad bunch.

Indeed.  One could write one's own analyser with the help of
HTTPD::Log::Filter perl modules fairly easily.  It'd be slow tho.
Webalizer is one of the fastest and it is written in C.

> > Also you're referrer records are useless. You've not filtered out local
> > referrers.  Eg, you should be hiding referrers from www.wlug.org.nz.
>
> I played with that last night, apparently my changes didn't work,
> perhaps because of the history file.  Oh well, I've updated it some,

Yes.  You would have to delete the history and recreate the output for
this month.

Later
--
Oliver Jones > Senior Software Engineer > Deeper Design Limited.
oliver@d...  > www.deeperdesign.com > +64 (21) 41-2238