University Crest

[wlug] Kernel module autoloading (KMOD)

Andrew Thrift @ Millennium andrew@m...
Mon Feb 24 08:48:23 NZDT 2003

Over the weekend I built myself a new workstation, and last night I decided to compile 2.4.20 on it.  To be the most versatile I made the kernel very modular (e.g. if it could be a module it was) apart from low level SCSI drivers.

Anyway, after compilation and before reboot, i did a "depmod -ae 2.4.20" so that kernel autoloading in theory would work nicely.
However apon reboot I noticed about half as many modules loaded as when I booted with the default redhat kernel.
The main thing that made me notice it was that PPP did not work anymore because the modules were not loaded.

Any idea what I am doing wrong here ??

Regards,

Andrew Thrift